JOHANNESBURG - Cosatu on Thursday condemned the dismissal of 16 actors from SABC soapie Generations, and urged workers and employers to return to the negotiating table.
“The federation urges the actors to... work with them (unions and employers) to reach an acceptable settlement, get their jobs back, continue to entertain their millions of fans, and create a precedent for all actors to be treated with respect,” Congress of SA Trade Unions spokesperson Patrick Craven said in a statement.
The SABC announced on Monday that 16 actors who had embarked on a strike had been fired.
The public broadcaster's spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the termination followed a call for the actors to return for recordings.
The cast claimed the SABC and production company, MMSV Productions, had failed to deliver on promises made to them during their strike last year.