• Beeskraal at Fanie’s Place, 241 Basden Ave, Lyttleton, Centurion. 8pm. R60 at www.faniesplace.co.za. Tel 012 664 7701.
• EDM Killed Romance with DJ M, Nuno Estevez, Reezo Hassan and Mig Madiq at Kitchener’s Carvery Bar, 5 De Beer St, Braamfontein. R30. 7pm. Tel: 079 106 3697
• Majesty, Headphase, Muzi, Phizicist, David and Goliath, Half Life, Mr Green vs King Rat, Micr.Pluto, Feed The Animals, FRQNT and Adamski vs Vexille at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. R60 before 9pm, R80 thereafter. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Toy Toy versus presents Dodge vs Dogstarr, D’Ritmo and Fabio at And, 36 Stiemens St, Braamfontein. 9pm. R30 before 10pm, R60 thereafter. Tel: 011 447 7996.
• Pseudo Ego and Small Town Fever at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas St and Barnard St, Pretoria. Admission TBA. 8pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• The Radium Jazz Trio at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 8.45pm. Free. Tel: 011 728 3866 or 083 542 1044.
• Andile Yenana Sextet at The Orbit – Home of Jazz, 81 De Korte St, Braam-fontein. 8.30pm. R100. Tel: 011 339 6645.
• Monkeys In Boots at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas St and Barnard St, Pretoria. Admission TBA. 8pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Dirty Rotten Tequila Festival with Shadowclub, The Velves, Tidal Waves, Black Cat Bones, Hawkword, Twelv, Mr Green and many more at Carfax, Newtown St, Loaded entrance, Newtown. 2pm. R120 at the door. Tel: 011 834 9187.
• Folk ‘n Roll at The Bohemian, 167 Perth Rd, Westdene. Line-up includes The Anti-Retro Vinyls, Trevor Rebello, Crystal Park and Sutherland. 7pm. R40. Tel: 011 482 1725.
• House Knights Presents HK009 Basement Edition at Capital Music Café, cnr Keyes ave and Tyrwhitt Ave, Rosebank. Line-up: Miguel Tavares, Jo Deepa, Nick Essential, Brad S, Just Smart, House Knights, 2lani da Warrior, Nuno Estevez, Pimp Squad, Mig Madiq and Deep Souls. 8pm. R120 at the door. Tel: 011 880 0033.
• Ricardo Da Costa, Kinetika and Whitey D’Vine at Truth, Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand. Admission TBA. 8.30pm. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• T’s and C’s, Pink Noise, Late Night Fox and Shaun Jacobs at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. R40. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• The Hip Replacements at the Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 9pm. R80 Tel: 011 728 3866 or 083 5421044.
• Empire of Desire and The Faradays at Tings an’ Times, Shop No 36, Waterglen Centre, cnr January Masilela (General Louis Botha) and Garsfontein rds, Waterglen. Free. Reservations essential. Tel: 012 993 0234.
• 1925 Band at Saloon Route 66, Hartbeeshoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam. 10am to 3pm. Tel 083 372 8118 or 083 261 2602.
• Intimate Evening with Philip Moolman at Casa Toscana, 5 Darlington Rd, , Lynnwood Manor, Pretoria East. R300pp. 6.30pm. Tel: 012 348 8820.
• Koos du Plessis at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas St and Barnard St, Pretoria. 8pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Open mic at TJ’s Acoustic Club, Mark’s Park, Judith Rd, Emmarentia. 8pm. R25. Tel: 079 729 0294.
• Karaoke with Lorenz Jooste at Morula Casino and Hotel, Lethabong Tavern, Molefe Makinta (Lucas Mangope) Highway, Mabopane. 9pm to midnight. Free. Tel: 012 799 0000.
• Admiral and Jah Seed for reggae beats at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown, CBD. 8pm. Tel: 082 336 0880.
• E-mail all gig and venue information, with “gig guide” as the subject line, to [email protected] or munyaradzi.vomo @inl. co.za by Wednesday afternoon.
GIG OF THE WEEK
Nirox Sculpture Park, Kromdraai Road, Cradle of Humankind
Since their success of the Retrofest#1 gig, acousticsNOW have come up with an even better guitar show, Guitar Giants, which will feature original compositions from a collection of South Africa’s best guitar players.
These include Steve Newman, Tony Cox, Guy Buttery, Nibs van der Spuy, Greg Georgiades and Ashish Joshi. Since it is Youth Month, it will help that these legends will also feature young talents like Dave Baudains and Michael Plaxton-Harrison. They plan to play music which we won’t ordinarily find at most concerts.
The event will take place tomorrow during the Nirox Sculpture Fair at the Nirox Sculpture Park (Kromdraai Rd, Cradle of Humankind).
The fair will feature more than 60 outdoor sculptures made by local artists.
Essentially, this will be a fusion of two artforms – music and sculpture – and if you appreciate the creativity demanded of the two you will realise that this is to be a rare event.
For those who love their drinks, a fully stocked bar will be available. Also, some food, courtesy of the Epicurean Emporium, will be on offer and will include a number of quality food stalls from the high-end food and design markets which have an emphasis on healthy, naturally sourced options.
This is the kind of event you would find the likes of BB King and Carlos Santana attending. A place where strings are played so well they almost speak.
To help you digest the sophisticated sounds, the event’s directors have thrown in the nature of the Cradle of Humankind plus the sculptures.
– Munya Vomo
• Gates open at 10am, music from 11am. There is secure parking inside the venue. Arrive early to enjoy the full day of music and tour the Sculpture Park. Tickets: R300 to R320, www.webtickets.co.za. Tel: 082 854 6963.