Johannesburg - The SABC should set aside the dismissals of the Generations actors who went on strike, and restart negotiations, the Media Workers Association of SA (Mwasa) said on Tuesday.
“This sinister and cynical move comes after repeated failures by both the SABC and the production company MMSV to engage in bona fide negotiation processes to address recurrent contractual issues of mutual interest raised in good faith by the workers,” general secretary Tuwani Gumani said in a statement.
“What we have here is yet another regrettable display of failed bargaining processes.”
The SABC announced on Monday that 16 actors who had embarked on a strike had been fired.
The national broadcaster's spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the termination followed a call by both parties for the actors to return for recordings.