This year's theme is "Freedom of Self" as such the commemoration of South African struggle heroes, is creatively depicted on the official artwork designed by Beggie Jerri, a local Illustrator and Graphic Designer.
Here are 12 FACTS you might have not known about BTTC:
1. Zuluboy was the first artist to perform on the Back to the City Festival stage when the event started in 2007.
2. Reason currently holds the 12 year record for being the only artist to have performed at all Back to the City Festival events.
3. Zoocci Coke Dope, Champagne69 and Palmtree Paradise's first time on the Back to the City lineup.
4. Pro is the highlight of the 2018 Heritage moment.
5. The 2018 BTTC tribute will be to honour an epitome of South African Hip Hop in the early 2000s 'Outrageous Records' featuring live performances by H2O, Zubz, Proverb and Optical Ill.
6. The 2018 Power Hour will focus on rising stars Zooci Coke Dope and J Molley to name a few.
7. The 2018 Lineup includes new female talent: Astryd Brown, Nelz, Otarel, The Brownies, Tyrant, Chainz.
8. The 2018 PowerPlay 10K Challenge is a platform for emerging producers and emcees. Top 8 finalists in each category will be competing for a R10,000 cash prize and recording time at Downtown Studios.
9. The 2018 Battle of the Bands will see 8 bands jamming against each other for a R25 000 cash prize plus an EP recording at Downtown Studios.
10. BTTC and DJ Tha Cutt, will be presenting the first ever DJ competition, where the winner will take home a R5 000 cash prize.
11. Stan B will be the first artist to represent Shoshanguve, Pretoria at this year's festival.
12.Reggae's dubbing and toasting led to hip-hop's emceeing, Bobotikal and Cappashot will be representing the culture.
The 12th annual Back to the City international festival is taking place in Newtown, Johannesburg from 10am till 2am.
Featuring 60 artists, 30 DJs, graffiti artists, BBoys, BMX, skaters, 10 live bands, freestyle football and stalls, all representing the pinnacle of artistic expression from South Africa and a surprise international act.
* Tickets are available at all Computicket , from R250.00.