Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, arrive for the Commonwealth Observance service at Westminster Abbey in London March 9, 2015. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth (BRITAIN - Tags: ROYALS RELIGION ANNIVERSARY ENTERTAINMENT)
Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, arrive for the Commonwealth Observance service at Westminster Abbey in London March 9, 2015. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth (BRITAIN - Tags: ROYALS RELIGION ANNIVERSARY ENTERTAINMENT)

Will William miss royal baby’s birth?

By KATIE NICHOLL Time of article published Apr 20, 2015

Share this article:

 

Prince William is due to accompany the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh on an official engagement next Saturday – the same day his wife is reportedly expected to give birth.

 

Despite the clash, the Duke of Cambridge plans to do “everything he can” to be at the official commemorations to mark the centenary of the Gallipoli and Anzac campaigns at the Cenotaph on April 25, Kensington Palace said yesterday.

 

A spokesman for William said: “The Duke’s intention is to be at the commemorations. Being the 100th anniversary, it is very important to him.”

 

Although her due date has not officially been confirmed, the Duchess of Cambridge, right, told wellwishers at a charity event last month: “I”m due mid-April, to the end of April.”

 

Palace sources later said the actual date was April 25.

 

The Duke committed to being present at the commemorations in February and, according to aides, plans to play things by ear. “We will have to see what happens,” said a senior aide. “The Duchess has said the baby is due the second half of the month but we don”t know exactly when the baby will arrive.”

 

Should Kate, 33, go into labour while the Duke is at work, he faces a dash across the country to get to St Mary’s Hospital in West London in time.

 

He is currently training for his new job as an Air Ambulance pilot at three airbases in Cambridge, Norwich or Gloucestershire.

 

Despite reports that there is a helicopter on stand-by, the Duke, 32, will make the journey by car instead.

 

The Mail on Sunday has also learned there will be a new line-up in the delivery room at St Mary’s Lindo Wing for the couple’s second child. Leading obstetrician Guy Thorpe-Beeston will be in charge of the birth, a spokesman for the couple confirmed, assisted by the Queen’s Surgeon-Gynaecologist Alan Farthing, who had been tipped to take the lead role.

 

Mr Farthing was second-in-command to the now retired Sir Marcus Setchell at the birth of the Royal couple’s first child, George.

 

“Both names will be on the notice of birth posted outside Buckingham Palace, but it will be Guy Thorpe-Beeston who will take charge,” the spokesman added.

 

“He’s an obstetrics specialist and that’s why he’s in the lead.”

 

Mr Thorpe-Beeston, a specialist in high-risk pregnancies, works at London’s private Portland Hospital and on Harley Street, where he has 18 years” experience.

 

He was made Surgeon-Gynaecologist to the Royal Household last year following his role in the delivery of George on July 22, 2013, also at the Lindo Wing.

 

The consultant – who is believed to have looked after Kate when she was sick with hyperemesis gravidarum during her first trimester – will be the first person the Duchess calls when she goes into labour. He has cleared his diary so he can be solely on call.

 

Mr Farthing, 51, who was engaged to TV presenter Jill Dando at the time of her murder, is a specialist in gynaecological cancer care. He has a private Harley Street practice.

 

Mail on Sunday

Share this article: