Members of the Reaction Unit SA outside the Verulam home where Devki Debidin was electrocuted. Photo: Supplied.
Members of the Reaction Unit SA outside the Verulam home where Devki Debidin was electrocuted. Photo: Supplied.
Members of the Reaction Unit SA and an ambulance outside the Verulam home where Devki Debidin was electrocuted. Photo: Supplied.
Members of the Reaction Unit SA and an ambulance outside the Verulam home where Devki Debidin was electrocuted. Photo: Supplied.
The urn with which Devki Debidin was boiling water for her morning bath when she was electrocuted. Photo: Supplied.
The urn with which Devki Debidin was boiling water for her morning bath when she was electrocuted. Photo: Supplied.

Durban - A 43-year-old Verulam woman was found dead in her wood and iron home on Friday morning after she had been electrocuted. 

According to Reaction Unit South Africa, Devki Debidin’s lifeless body was found by her nine-year-old daughter. She was lying on the bathroom floor at their home on Buffelsdraai Road. 

Members of Reaction Unit South Africa were called out at about 11am. “Upon arrival Debidin was assessed and showed no signs of life. She was declared dead at the scene. She suffered burns to her face and thigh,” said RUSA spokesperson Prem Balram.

Balram said the daughter found her mom on the bathroom floor, and ran to call her aunt who lived nearby. When the aunt got to the bathroom, she switched the power off and carried Debidin to the living room before calling for assistance. 

RUSA said Debidin was allegedly boiling water for her morning bath and was in the process of washing the bathroom floor when she was electrocuted. 

The daughter told RUSA officers that she had skipped school today as she wanted to spend more time with her mother. 

The Independent on Saturday