'Cashew, my rescue dog helped me heal'
This February, IOL is spreading the love with our #MyHeart competition where we are asking readers to send a shout out to their loved ones to stand a chance of winning some amazing prizes.
Whether it's the love of your life, your BFF, your dog, your cat, your mom, your boss or your second-removed cousin on your grandmother's side, we want to know why you appreciate them so much.
Here's one of our winning entries from Michelle Koopman, who has won a hamper from Hill's Pet Nutrition to the value of R1 000.
My beloved Cashew
Cashew came into my life when my doctor advised that I start looking at getting me a rescue dog to assist in my healing process.
I had been a depression survivor seeking help to live a better more fulfilled life after being really traumatised and abused as a child.
It was love at first sight!
Cashew came and helped me heal and his very quirky and funny persona just made life a bliss.
He is really so full of life that he inspired me to want to live each day with the same energy as his.
We have such a close bond that people sometimes have to look twice to make sure he is not a child hahaha because he really acts human.
We do everything together and when he got stolen last year ( he stays with a friends Mommy during the day) I walked the streets of Elsies River and surrounds for 8 days and put up rewards and asked the media to assist me in finding my only real thing of true value in my life.
I found him on the 8th day after receiving a tip that he was spotted at Maitland cemetery.
That night I vowed to never ever stop praying for his safety.
I have had him for 7 amazing years and really if it was not for this dog, my life would not be filled with light.
How to enter IOL's #MyHeart competition:
Send an email to [email protected] with a shout out to a very special someone in your life (minimum 150 words). Or send us a message or a video via Whatsapp to 0745573535.
Winners of this prize will be notified by March 6.
Winners will be notified by email or phone, so please send us your contact details with your entry.
Read more #MyHeart stories here.
- Selected story entries, pictures and videos will be published on iol.co.za and our social media pages.
- The winners' names will be published on our website and social media pages.
- Competitions are only open to people residing in South Africa.
- Employees of Independent Media, the sponsors & their agents, or any company associated with the competition & their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Receipt of entries will not be acknowledged.
- The entrant accepts that entry to the competition does not constitute a contract or any form of legal commitment between the entrant and IOL.