Win a Sunstar GUM fresh breath kit in IOL's #MyHeart competition
It's no coincidence that February, the month of love, is also National Fresh Breath Month. Love and romance means getting up close and personal.
That's why IOL has partnered with Sunstar GUM in our #MyHeart competition to give away two
kits. See how to enter below.
Valued at R745, each kit contains everything you need to super-power your oral care routine, including a Sunstar GUM ActiVital Sonic brush, floss, interdental tools, a tongue cleaner, GUM Original White and GUM Red-Cote Disclosing Tablets.
Sunstar GUM is recommended by dental professionals around the world and available from Dis-Chem, Clicks, selected Checkers, Pick n Pay, SPAR, pharmacies and dentists.
Bad breath, also known as halitosis, affects more than half of South Africans. According to experts, this common condition can usually be prevented with effective oral hygiene.
”Bad breath goes hand in hand with poor oral hygiene, which causes gum disease and other oral health issues,” says Dirna Grobbelaar, Ivohealth’s Oral Care Advisor and accredited by the Swiss Dental Academy. “The most important element of any oral care routine is the mechanical removal of plaque by brushing and cleaning in-between the teeth.”
Grobbelaar describes an effective routine to help maintain fresh breath and a hygienically clean mouth:
1. Brush correctly twice a day, for a full two minutes each time, this will remove about 50% of plaque. Use a soft-bristled brush and small movement. Don’t brush hard, it can damage your gums. Sonic toothbrushes – like the Sunstar GUM ActiVital Sonic have been shown to remove more plaque than a manual brush.
2. Clean in-between every day. Even the most careful brushing can’t reach right between the teeth; daily flossing or interdental cleaning is crucial. If in doubt, sniff the floss! If you do not feel confident how to clean in-between correctly ask a dental professional.
3. Another place that plaque and food debris can accumulate is on the tongue - gently scrape every day, using a teaspoon or Sunstar GUM Tongue Cleaner.
4. Rinse with mouthwash, either as a final step, after eating or when brushing isn’t convenient. Use an alcohol-free mouthwash (like Sunstar GUM Original White). Alternatively, chew sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva and naturally "rinse" the mouth.
To check if your oral hygiene routine is on point use Sunstar GUM Red-Cote Disclosing Tablets, available from dentists and pharmacies. Simply chew one after brushing to reveal any areas you’ve missed, then brush and floss again until your mouth is completely clean.
In addition to your daily routine, book an appointment with your dentist at least once a year and ideally go for a professional clean every six months. Dentists and oral hygienists have the expertise and tools to remove plaque and tartar that you can’t, even with the most meticulous oral routine.
Enter IOL's #MyHeart competition to stand a chance of winning one of 2
Sunstar GUM #FreshBreathCheck oral care kits worth R745 as one of our other amazing prizes.
Send an email to [email protected] with a shout out to a very special someone in your life (minimum 150 words). Or send us a message or a video via Whatsapp to 0745573535.
Whether it's the love of your life, your BFF, your cat, your mom, your boss or your second-removed cousin on your grandmother's side, we want to know why you appreciate them so much.
You can also DM us on Facebook or Twitter, or tag us on Instagram.
Winners of this prize will be notified by March 6.
Winners will be notified by email or phone, so please send us your contact details with your entry.
- Selected story entries, pictures and videos will be published on iol.co.za and our social media pages.
- The winners' names will be published on our website and social media pages.
- Competitions are only open to people residing in South Africa.
- Employees of Independent Media, the sponsors & their agents, or any company associated with the competition & their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Receipt of entries will not be acknowledged.
- The entrant accepts that entry to the competition does not constitute a contract or any form of legal commitment between the entrant and IOL.