Back-to-school lunchbox recipe: Cookie Monster
With the excitement that a new school year brings, coming up with creative solutions to pack a nutritious lunchbox can be overwhelming.
Parents know how important it is to foster good eating habits as proper nutrition plays a vital role in helping children perform well at school – be it in maintaining sustainable energy levels or optimising cognitive thinking.
The truth is that healthy eating habits start at home because children mimic the dietary habits of adults. Therefore, it’s important for you to try fresh approaches – show your children how the meals are prepared and involve them in making their very own nutritious meals that they’ll love.
This recipe is called the Cookie Monster and consists of almond macaroon with frozen blueberry yogurt, oat and chocolate chip cookies and coconut fur.
100 g Egg whites
100 g Castor sugar
12 g Ground almonds
125 g Icing sugar
Ingredients: Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
1 cup Frozen blueberries (defrosted)
1 cup Low fat plain yogurt
½ cup Honey
Ingredients: Oat Biscuit
200 g Whole wheat flour
200 g Oats
200 g Butter
100 g Sugar
10 ml Baking powder
15 ml Milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 140 degrees.
2. Whisk egg whites and castor sugar into a stiff peak.
3. Add ground almonds and icing sugar then fold in until evenly mixed.
4. Pipe 5cm circles onto greaseproof paper or silicone mats and knock down to even out.
5. Allow to stand for 30min and bake for 15-18min.
Instructions: Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
1. Add the blueberries and honey to a pot and simmer, then blend to smooth and allow to cool.
2. Fold into yogurt with whole blueberries to form a blueberry yogurt swirl and freeze into discs.
Instructions: Oat Biscuits
1. Pre-heat oven at 160 degrees.
2. Put all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
3. Add butter and crumb together.
4. Add the milk and mix until dough comes together.
5. Continue binding by hand.
6. Roll, cut, and bake for 15-18min until golden brown.
Arrange some blueberry coulis on plate as desired. Sandwich the frozen blueberry yogurt between the two cookie monster macaroons and place on plate and arrange oat biscuits.