File photo: Many plants in and around the house and garden can be toxic. Picture: AP

Are you getting a new puppy or kitten? Is your house puppy or kitten proofed?

A part of puppies and kittens growing up is exploring their environment, this involves chewing and eating almost everything they find.

Dangling wires and cords are very tempting playthings.

Electrical burns can be very serious and even fatal.

Children’s toys and small things such as rubber bands, plastic bottle lids and string also make great fun but are dangerous toys. Try to keep floor areas as clean as possible. Be careful even with pet’s toys, these are for supervised play time only.

Many human foods are toxic to pets and small puppies and kittens only need to consume small amounts for there to be problems.

Chocolate, xylitol (used in sugar free items), grapes and macadamia nuts are a few food stuffs that will cause your pet problems. Beware of kittens jumping up on surfaces or puppies raiding bins and eating garbage such as bones, fatty left overs, tinfoil and cling wrap.

It is always wise to make sure your puppy or kitten is fed exclusively on good quality pet food rather than getting into the habit of treating with potentially harmful human foods.

Many plants in and around the house and garden can be toxic. Search the internet for any specific plants you may have but the following are toxic if chewed or eaten: elephant ears, geraniums, lilies, ivy and cycads are just a few.

Some pets do like to eat grass and pet grass can be brought from garden centres; for indoor cats, it can be grown in pots for them.

Remember that cleaning products can be toxic as can gardening sprays and fertilisers. Keep your kitten or puppy away from areas where you are using anything like this.

If you think that your puppy or kitten has injured itself or eaten something that is shouldn’t, call your vet immediately and he or she will advise you on the best options to take to ensure your little friend is taken good care of.

Pretoria News