3 Superfoods for stress relief
If you’re prone to stress, then it’s beneficial to opt for healthy superfoods to combat those stressful times.
Dietitian, nutritionist and spokesperson of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Isabel Maples says these three of superfoods are great stress relievers.
Almonds are an excellent source of magnesium, a key mineral in energy production; magnesium fights fatigue. Enjoy almonds whole, sliced, blanched or as a flour, paste or butter. Try eating a handful of nuts, including almonds, a day.
Whole wheat bread
Whole wheat bread is rich in complex carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates stimulate the body to produce serotonin, a feel-good hormone. Complex carbohydrates help us feel better other ways, like keeping the digestive tract moving (preventing constipation) and helping blood sugars stay stable (which helps one feel normal).
Kiwifruit is loaded with vitamin C, a nutrient that helps the body deal with oxidative stress.
Other ways to eliminate stress:
- Many people deal with stress by overeating.
- Focus on portion control.
- Don’t eat out of the carton.
- Come up with other, non-food related ways to cope like: go for a walk, meditate, phone a friend, or indulge in a bubble bath.
- Other people deal with stress by forgetting to eat.
- Stick to a structured schedule to know when to eat. Set an alarm if needed!