5 tips for eating clean
Clean eating is one of the latest trends among health-conscious people and dietitians.
The idea is simply eating foods that are not processed or refined.
Clean eating means consuming natural and whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, pulses and whole grains. It is not intended to eat specific types of foods that provide only certain nutrients such as low-carb, low-fat or protein-rich foods.
While practicing clean eating, you do not have to resist the urge to eat, you should eat whenever you are hungry. The only condition is that you must eat wholesome food.
Tips for healthy eating:
- Avoid processed foods.
- Add protein and carbohydrate rich foods to your diet.It is recommended to include some proteins, carbohydrates and fats in your daily meals. But keep in mind that nutrients must be derived from natural and wholesome sources. For example, eggs and pulses good sources of proteins while potatoes are excellent sources of carbohydrates.
- Limit the consumption of fat, salt and sugar. This is very important and easier than you think, especially if you can cut out on processed foods. Processed foods are full of calories and are packed with high levels of fat, sugar and salt. Clean eating is generally devoid of such ingredients.
- Fuel yourself with healthy snacks in between your meals. Have your three main meals but include two or three snacks throughout the day to keep your blood sugar levels constant and maintain energy levels. Keep these snacks healthy and natural.
- Avoid unhealthy and fatty beverages
Pouyoukas roasted tomato and black-eyed bean salad
- 500g Rosa tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cooked Pouyoukas black-eyed beans
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 100 ml fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, chilli flakes and olive oil on a large baking tray.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss.
- Roast in a preheated 220°C oven for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the black eyed beans, spring onions, coriander, lime juice, olive oil and red chilli. Add the roasted tomatoes.
- Mix well and serve at room temperature.