- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for buttering pan
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne
- 18 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and thinly sliced
- 450g bacon, cooked, drained of fat and crumbled
- Toast, for serving
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees and butter a 23-by-33-cm baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until it foams. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Lower the heat and slowly pour in the cream and milk.
- Heat until steaming, whisking often.
- Add the cheese and whisk until melted.
- Add the parsley, marjoram, thyme, garlic powder and cayenne.
- In the prepared dish, make layers of egg slices, bacon and sauce, ending with sauce.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving with hot toast.
The New York Times. Adapted from “The Fresh Egg Cookbook” by Jennifer Trainer Thompson