How to make Chocolate, Coffee Whisky Brownies #FathersDayRecipe
Father’s Day is a few days away and Claire Allen is giving you ideas on what to make for dessert. She has prepared twists on classic desserts, twists she believes will add something extra to your dessert offering for Father’s Day lunch.
Chocolate, Coffee Whisky Brownies
Decadent, chocolatey, spongy and oh so moreish, my brownies are the only ones you will ever want to make in the future.
Pro-tip: baking paper is essential for this recipe for easy brownie removal.
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs instant coffee
- 1 cup toasted pecans chopped
- 1 cup bitter-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- ½ block butter, melted
- 2 tbs brewed coffee
- 120g bitter-sweet chocolate chips
- cup heavy cream
- 1 tbs butter
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbs whisky (optional)
- Line a 20x20cm pan with baking paper, leaving enough paper to hang over edges.
- Lightly grease.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa, sugar, flour, instant coffee.
- Add eggs, butter and coffee, and mix just until smooth.
- Fold in your nuts and chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Check for readiness by inserting the tip of a knife into the centre. Brownies are done if batter under crust is moist but slightly crumbly. If it appears too wet, return to oven and bake a few minutes longer.
- Set aside on a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least one hour before topping with ganache.
- After brownies have cooled slightly, prepare ganache.
- Place a small metal or glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (double boiler) and add chocolate chips, butter and heavy cream.
- Melt slowly, mixing constantly so chocolate doesn't burn.
- As soon as chocolate is melted, remove from heat and stir in whiskey.
- Allow to cool slightly, then spread evenly over brownies with an offset spatula.
- Chill in refrigerator at least two hours before serving.
Claire Allen is a multi-talented entrepreneur, food curator, chef, and influencer and making her mark in the food world.
Follow Claire on Social Media: Twitter: @ClaireAllen_SA; Facebook: @ClaireAllenSA; Instagram: @ClaireAllen_SA; Website: www.claireallen.co.za