Yields 2,5 kg
- 2 g apricot halves
- 1kg onions, sliced
- 4 red chillies, seeded, sliced
- 85g (1/2C) mustard seeds
- 5 apricot pips
- 1,6kg (8C) white sugar
- 1 litre (4C) white grape vinegar
- 60ml (4T) cornflour
- 15 ml(1T) fenugreek seeds
- 125ml (1/2C) water
- 60ml (4T) finely chopped garlic
- 45ml (3T) Apple pectin
- 10ml (2t) salt
- 10ml (2t) pepper
- 2,5ml (1/2t) ground cinnamon
- Grease the bottom of a saucepan with butter to prevent catching.
- Place the apricots, onions, chillies, mustard seeds, apricot pips, white sugar and vinegar in the saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Boil over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Stir now and then to prevent it from catching.
- Mix the cornflour and fenugreek seeds with water and add them along with the rest of the ingredients to the boiling mixture.
- Boil for 15 minutes until the mixture is thick; stir regularly. If the mixture sets, it is ready to be bottled.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes before bottling.
- Spoon into hot, sterilised jars. Twist the lids on tightly and then turn the jars upside down.
- Allow to cool completely before wiping the jars clean.