It's the time of the year when Muslims around the world prepare for the holy month of Ramadaan.
Makes 2 small date loaves.
- 500g unpitted dates
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Enough boiling water to cover the dates
- 2 large eggs
- 500g self-raising flour
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 200g salted butter
- ¾ cup sunflower oil
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped roughly
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Tip the dates in a bowl. Sprinkle the bicarbonate of soda over the dates. Pour enough boiling water to cover the dates. Leave aside for half an hour.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the eggs, butter, oil together.
- Add the brown sugar and mix well until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, flour, walnuts and baking powder. Lastly pour in the soaked dates with the water.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until the flour and wet ingredients have incorporated.
- Pour into 2 well-greased loaf tins.
- Bake at 180C in a preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning the cake out on a cooling rack. Cut into slices when the cake has completely cooled down.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 x 250ml cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 packets instant yeast
- 1 tsp fine cinnamon
- 2 tsp fine ginger
- 2 tsp fine aniseed
- 1 tsp fine cardamom
- 2 tsp fine naartjie peel (optional)
- 1 egg
- 125ml-250ml milk water (half water half milk)
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs oil
- Cook and mash potatoes with butter.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat egg, sugar and oil together.
- Add 125ml milk water first, if dough is too stiff add the remaining milk water.
- Add liquid mixture and potatoes to dry ingredients.
- Mix to a soft dough.
- Set dough aside in a warm place, covered, to rise until double in size.
- Divide dough into approx 30 small balls on a slightly oiled surface.
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Once oil is hot, gently pull koeksister into an oblong shape and fry each side until browned.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- 500ml water
- 250ml sugar
Boil water and sugar until sugar is dissolved and syrup is slightly thickened and sticky.
Add drops of water if too sticky. Boil koeksisters in sugar syrup for about 1 minute.
Sprinkle with desiccated coconut.