Chia seeds are tiny black seeds that are becoming one of the most popular superfoods and for good reason. They are healthy little powerhouses loaded with fibre, protein and omega 3 fatty acids. They also contain antioxidants and calcium.
About 2 tablespoons of chia seeds contain 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbohydrates and 11 grams of fibre, plus vitamins and minerals.
The mild, nutty flavour of chia seeds makes them easy to add to foods and beverages. They are most often sprinkled on cereals, sauces, vegetables, rice dishes and yoghurt or mixed into drinks and baked goods. When soaked chia seeds expand and turn into thick, creamy bowls of amazingness.
Chia pudding is one of the best breakfasts you can start your day with. It only takes a few minutes to prepare the night before. Just pop it into a jar or airtight container and it is your grab and go breakfast on the run.
Breakfast Chia Pudding
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Coconut, strawberries or other berries for topping
- Place the chia seeds in an airtight container.
- Add the milk, maple syrup and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator and let it set overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator and add toppings of your choice.
Serve and enjoy.