- 60 ml CLOVER Springbok butter
- 100 g bacon, cut into fine strips
- onion, chopped
- carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- celery stick, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 80 ml cake flour
- 5 x 250 ml chicken stock
- x 410 g tins whole peeled tomatoes
- fresh parsley twigs
- fresh thyme twigs
- bay leaf
- 250 ml CLOVER cream
- Some salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and add the bacon. Fry the bacon until it is crispy and the fat has been fried out. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on a paper towel. Keep aside.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook the vegetable mix until tender and aromatic. Stir from time to time.
- Stir in the flour, and cook for 3 minutes. Pour the chicken stock into the saucepan and mix well.
- Pulp the tomatoes and add to the soup. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Tie the parsley, thyme and bay leaf together with a piece of string and add to the soup.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, let the soup cool down, and remove the herbs.
- Pulp the soup in batches with a food processor or stick blender until smooth. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and heat slowly over medium heat.
- Stir the cream into the soup, season to taste and serve immediately.
Recipe supplied by Clover