Healthy Holiday Recipe
This ADSA NutritionConfidence recipe is created by Chef Vanessa Marx. Grilled Ostrich Fillet with Egyptian Dukkah and Cucumber Raita is a healthy alternative this festive season that's still flavourful.
Ostrich is a truly South African and healthy alternative for the braai this festive season.
2 x 150g ostrich fillet steaks
80g Egyptian dukkah
30ml sunflower oil
1/2 cup low fat plain yoghurt
1/2 a medium cucumber
10g fresh coriander
The juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt & pepper
For the steaks
- Put a griddle pan on a very high heat.
- Drizzle the ostrich steaks with oil and coat in the dukkah. Season with salt flakes.
- Once the griddle pan is searing hot, lay the steaks onto the griddle. Do not move them around, leave them to grill on the first side for around 2-3 minutes. Turn the steak over and grill on the other side for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove the steaks from the grill and leave to rest for 2 minutes on a cutting board.
For the raita
- Cut the cucumber into small cubes about 5mm, or for a time-saving method, grate.
- Chop the coriander roughly.
- Mix the cucumber and coriander into the yoghurt.
- Season the raita with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Slice the steaks into 1cm thick slices and arrange on a plate or serving platter.
- Add dollops of raita on top of the steaks, and serve with a fresh seasonal salad, or side dish of your choice.
TIP: Ostrich fillet is best cooked on a high heat for a shorter period. This recipe cooking time would result in a medium rare steak, depending on the thickness of the steak. For a rarer steak, cook for one minute less on each side.