For the pastry
- 500 ml plain flour
- 60 ml castor sugar
- 180 g butter, chilled and chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30 ml iced water
For the filling
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 30 ml castor sugar
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 125 g blueberries
For the crumble
- 60 ml chopped nuts
- 60 ml coconut
- Cream for serving
- For the pastry, put the flour and sugar into a food processor.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and enough water to bring the dough together.
- Press half the dough into a 17 x 28 cm pan lined with non stick baking paper.
- Put the remaining dough into the freezer to firm up. Spoon the filling on top of the pastry.
- Grate the remaining dough into a bowl and add the nuts and coconut.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top of the filling. Bake at 180°C for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove and cool. Cut into slices and serve with whipped cream.
- For the filling, combine the apples, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and heat gently. Bring to a simmer and cook until apples are just tender. Remove and cool. Fold in the blueberries.