How to make Miss Universe's favourite food
Zozibini Tunzi has been crowned Miss Universe 2019.
She's the third South African to win the prestigious title and the first black South African to be crowned as Miss Universe.
Tunzi impressed judges and the world during the week-long pageant, and went into the finals one of the favourites to win the crown.
Her answers to the questions, quickly set her apart from her competitors, proving that she was not only beautiful, but was intelligent.
However, what happens to be her favourite food, the one thing she turns to every time she needs a pick me up?
It's umngqusho, otherwise known as samps and beans.
Like Nelson Mandela, she enjoys the meal and loves it with beef stew.
So we thought, why not celebrate her win with her favourite meal? We are certain that it will be her first meal when she eventually gets back to South Africa to celebrate her win with the rest of the country.
Samp, Beans and Beef
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 tbs cooking oil
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp mustard seeds (yellow)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder fine
- 3 tsp masala powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 4 large garlic cloves, grated
- 3cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1kg chopped beef pieces
- 4 medium tomatoes, grated
- salt, 2 tsp or per taste
- coriander (optional)
For the samp and beans
1 cup dry samp cooked with a teaspoon of turmeric powder, the samp must not be soft - it needs to still have a bit of biting texture.
¾ cup dry sugar beans boiled (reserve 2 to 3 cups of the water)
- Fry the onion until translucent in the oil.
- Add all the spices as well as the grated garlic and ginger and fry slowly for about 5 minutes until all the flavours are released.
- Add the beef pieces and brown slightly.
- Add the grated tomato and let it simmer until thick for about 20 minutes on medium heat. Add two cups of water (water reserved from the boiled samp and beans) and let it simmer, again until thick. This way you are really creating this delicious tomato chutney.
- Then add the samp and beans, heat through for about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with fresh coriander.