Quick and Simple Middle Eastern Style Soup
- Add 1 finely chopped onion to a pot with 1 tbs oil
- Sauté until onion is translucent
- Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- Add 1 cup of grated carrots
- Add 1 tsp jeera/cumin, 1 tsp gharam masala and 1 whole green chilli
- Add 1 cup of rinsed red lentils.
- Add 500ml chicken broth/stock
- Add 750ml water
- Cook for 30 minutes (until lentils are soft). Remove chilli and give it a rough blend. Add salt to taste.
- Make a dressing for the soup: Into a mortar and pestle, add some flat leaf parsley, toasted almonds and sunflower seeds.
- Break it down to a crumb like texture.
- Loosen it up with extra virgin olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon.
- Serve with lemon wedges.