Life can get in the way but one can still cook a simple and heavenly gourmet meal in under an hour. Chef Khotso Mosia shares with us a quick recipe for one of his favourite gourmet meals that you can try at home.
Mosia add that this decadent fillet recipe can be paired with mashed potatoes and roasted seasonal vegetables as sides.
Roquefort Stuffed Beef Fillet
4x 350g Beef loin portions
25ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
300g Red Onion (sliced)
50ml Red Wine Vinegar
125g Blue Cheese (crumbled)
Pepper Corn Sauce
50g Coarse Black Pepper
Salt (to taste)
- Sautee mushrooms in pan with a dash of olive, salt and pepper, leave in large bowl aside to cool.
- Sautee Red Onion in hot pan with olive oil salt, sugar and red wine vinegar, add to same bowl of mushrooms to cool.
- Once mushrooms and onions have cooled add blue cheese and mix well. make a deep incision in your beef portions and create a pocket for your mushroom, caramelized onion and blue cheese stuffing, stuff stuffing into pocket and seal using a toothpick to close the incision.
- Once stuffed and sealed, lubricate and season your stuffed portions with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Sear on all sides in pan at high heat and place in hot oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes until medium. Allow steak to rest for 10 min and serve with sauce and sides.
In a saucepan at medium heat add butter, wait till it is just at simmering point then add flour and black pepper, combine till a thick paste/roux forms, cook for no longer than 30 seconds.
7. Add milk and stir till a thick sauce. Add cream and brandy to finish and season with salt to your taste.