Dhal is not as complicated to make as many people believe. With this recipe the mushrooms are the not-so-secret ingredient and the heroes of the dish. This dhal recipe is quick and simple to prepare and will soon become a family favourite!
Serves 4 - 6
- 30ml oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15ml fresh ginger, finely grated
- 15ml curry paste
- 400g portabellini mushrooms, halved
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 410g tins brown lentils, drained
- 45ml plain yoghurt or thick cream
- 30ml fresh coriander, chopped
To Serve (optional)
- naan bread
- toasted coconut
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the ginger, curry paste and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and lentils and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top with yoghurt or cream and coriander.
- Serve with rice or naan breads, raita and/or toasted coconut.