There is a new number one restaurant in Cape Town. The Restaurant at Waterkloof Wine Estate in Somerset West triumphed at the 2018 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Restaurant Awards, bumping The Test Kitchen to number two on the list.
Here are a few things you need to know (or might not have known) about The Waterkloof Restaurant and the wine estate.
- Chef Gregory Czarnecki and his team have a superb menu, which is presented in an awesome setting.
- The restaurant is “gorgeously appointed in a glass promontory, which extends from the chic wine tasting lounge and gravitational cellar.
- The glass box is the perched s almost in the centre of the Hottentots-Holland and Helderberg mountains.
- The wine estate used to be where former Cape Colony Governor Willem Adriaan van der Stel grazed his sheep.
- According to their website: Chef Czarnecki places an emphasis on using only the freshest seasonal ingredients, such as free-range eggs, farm-reared Schapenberg lamb, and a variety of common and rare herbs and vegetables – many of which are grown and sourced right here at Waterkloof.
- Waterkloof produces “honest wines and “all fruit is hand-picked and hand-sorted".
View this post on Instagram
THE RESTAURANT AT WATERKLOOF - #1 IN SOUTH AFRICA! . We've gone through all of the emotions this evening and are currently feeling absolutely elated and so proud with the announcement that The Restaurant at Waterkloof has taken the number one position in this year's @eatoutguide #EatOutAwards. . What an outstanding achievement for Executive Chef @czarneckigregory and such an endorsement of the unique magic that he and his culinary team create every single day. There'll be plenty of bubbly flowing tonight to celebrate - thank you, Eat Out, and thank you to all of our guests! 🥂🍾
A post shared by Waterkloof Wines (@waterkloofwines) on
Lunch is Monday to Sunday: Kitchen opens at 12pm, last orders 2pm
Dinner is Monday – Saturday: Kitchen opens at 7pm, last orders 9pm