Three-Bean Salad (Serves 8)
This classic, sweet-sour vegetable salad is open to interpretation. Chickpeas may be substituted for any of the beans, for instance, and crumbled cheese (tangy feta or blue) can be added shortly before serving; for the latter, start with 1/4 cup and add more, as needed.
For best flavour, the salad needs to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. It can be made up to 3 days in advance.
- One 410g can green beans, drained and rinsed (about 2 cups)
- One 410g can yellow wax beans, drained and rinsed (about 2 cups)
- One 425g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, or more as needed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Combine the green beans, yellow wax beans, kidney beans, onion and parsley in a mixing bowl, tossing to incoporate.
- Whisk together the oil, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and the thyme leaves in a liquid measuring cup.
- Pour over the bean mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, and up to 3 days.
The Washington Post