The future of food has landed in SA!
Studio H a food design and consultancy agency has been hard at work with its 3D food printer and putting it to good use by attempting to reduce food waste.
- About 30 percent of edible fruit and vegetable crops are rejected for sale in SA even before being shipped to supermarkets because of appearance.
- 44% of all food wasted is fruit and vegetables. The rest is made up of 26% grains, 15% meat, and 13% roots, tubers and oil seeds.
- In the food supply chain in South Africa 26% of food wastage happens during agricultural production, 26% during post-harvest handling and storage, 27% during processing and packaging, 17% during distribution and retail, and 4% at consumer level.
- 1 cartridge (50ml) of juiced ugly apple
- 1 cartridge of pureed ugly strawberries
- 1 cartridge of pureed ugly tomato
- 1 cartridge of pureed ugly carrot
- 1 cartridge of pureed ugly baby marrow