If you are one of the people who decided to move towards a vegan diet and are still struggling on how to plan your meals you don’t have to worry.
We spoke to Catherine Phillips of the South African Vegan Society Durban chapter on how to easily plan meals if you are on a vegan diet
- Plan your weekly meals on a Sunday
- Make enough to have leftovers for lunches ( that way time is saved and you eat a healthy lunch).
- Make overnight oats or smoothies the night before for breakfasts.
- Stock up on fresh fruit, nuts and seeds for snacks ( stick to raw basic snacks as these are healthier than store bought processed snack bars etc).
- Stick to more simple healthy recipes you know as this eliminates time and money spent on exotic ingredients you may not use again.
- Experiment on new fancier recipes once a week or on special occasions.
- If you are very busy during the week spend some time on the weekend doing meal prep for the week. cutting veg/ cooking a variety of meals if you have the freezer space.
- Have a well stocked pantry with basics and just buy the essential perishables like fruit and veg once a week.
- Keep a food journal to track which foods the family enjoys as well as which foods are easiest to make.
- Batch cook food that could be used in a few meals - such as lentils or beans.