In summer avocado is arguably one of the most expensive fruits on the supermarket shelf, discouraging many people from buying it and benefiting from its health properties.
Now that it’s winter, and avos are in season and available at affordable prices, we can all take advantage of its nutritional values and make up for the lost time.
It's an adaptable fruit with some eating it as a filler on sandwiches or in leafy salads, while others use it as a beauty treatment.
Integrative nutritionist Nepheritie Jade reminds us of the benefits of avos
Avos are rich in Vitamin K, which is good in blood clotting and in regulating blood calcium.
- It contains vitamin B3, which has multiple benefits for the skin both when eaten or used as a face mask.
- Avos also contains more potassium than bananas, which is a major benefit for heart health.
- An average avocado contains about 160 calories, 2g of carbohydrates and 15g of protein - making it one of the best foods for weight-conscious people.
- A 2008 survey by the National Health and Nutrition Examination (NHANES) data, compared avocado consumers to non-consumers and found that consuming avocados may be associated with lower body weight, lower Body Mass Index and smaller waist circumference.
Avos are high in mono-unsaturated fat and a good source of potassium. Pexels Derek Donkin, chief executive officer of the SA Avocado Growers Association (Saaga) agrees and says avocados require very little preparation and contain no cholesterol or sodium.
- They are high in mono-unsaturated fat and a good source of potassium. This unique combination makes them a powerful ally to assist in the fight against high blood pressure.
- Donkin recommends avocados for breakfast said smashed avocado on toast with the zing of lemon, chilli and fresh coriander, has become a favourite quick breakfast around the globe.
- Avocados combined with berries, banana and granola make a delicious smoothie bowl.
- Alternatively, go the savoury route and slice avocado onto a croissant with slow roasted tomato and feta.