Princess Beatrice cancels wedding as UK extends its lockdown
Princess Beatrice has cancelled her wedding amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The 31-year-old royal, who is the daughter of Prince Andrew and his former wife Sarah Ferguson, was due to marry her fiancé Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi on May 29, but sources had previously announced she was “reviewing” her options amid the current health crisis, including making changes such as axing the reception.
But now, a spokesperson for the royal has confirmed Beatrice and Edoardo have decided to postpone their nuptials completely.
The representative told People magazine: “There are no plans to switch venues or hold a bigger wedding. They aren’t even thinking about their wedding at this time. There will come a time to rearrange, but that’s not yet.”
Beatrice and Edoardo were due to marry at St. James’s Palace in London, with a reception to follow at her grandmother Queen Elizabeth’s gardens at Buckingham Palace.
But following the news on Thursday that lockdown restrictions will continue in the UK for at least another three weeks, their planned May wedding can no longer go ahead.
It was previously been announced that the reception was no longer taking place, and that the couple were discussing the option to marry in a private ceremony with friends and family instead, but they have now chosen not to put people at risk and have cancelled plans entirely.
Meanwhile, Beatrice’s mother Sarah Ferguson recently insisted her daughter is happier than ever thanks to her romance with Edoardo.
Fergie, who is also mother to 30-year-old Princess Eugenie, said: "[Beatrice is] the happiest I have ever seen her in my life. She and Edo have a great love for each other and passion for life. For them to be getting married fills my heart with joy."