Looking fabulous while travelling isn’t the easiest task, but for us makeup and fashion fanatics... it’s a necessity. With so many elements to consider such as the weight of your luggage and outfit changes. Packing a minimalist travel kit is not easy so here are a few tips to help you with the process.
1. Firstly, Where are you going and when? Your destination and season are equally important, do your research beforehand on the expected weather conditions for when you are there be it summer or spring.
2. Not to big but just enough: Most makeup brands offer travel size alternatives so that come in a smaller size than the bulky full size. For example go for a 30ml instead of a 50ml.
3. Activities: Adventure sports such as Kayaking or Bungee jumping require little to none makeup. While sightseeing on foot or riding in a tour bus means you can do a full facebeat with the right amount of sunscreen of course. This becomes important for identifying which products you are going to need.
Cosmetic brand Urban Decay recently launched their newest addition to their eye-shadow palette family named “Born To Run” (#BornToRun) . Aimed at wanderlust souls and promoted as the perfect travel companion, it’s already a favourite for many makeup bloggers and influencers around the world. I took the palette with me for a weekend escape for a test run.
Visiting the sleepy and picture-perfect fishing village of Paternoster in the Cape West Coast meant I had a relaxed weekend of indulging in good food and enjoying beautiful ocean views. And I stayed at the intimate Abalone House one night and at Abalone Pool villas for another night. Abalone House is tastefully decorated with artist’s Tretchikoff inspired décor and supreme luxury finishes, I created a look that worked for dining at the establishment’s in-house restaurant named "Reuben’s".
The palette formula is soft, blendable and highly pigmented. With a combination of satin, metallic and matte finishes. Colours include soft pinks, reddish and shimmery browns, ocean blues, cherry purple and greens. It's wearable and stays on for long period.
What's in the bag? A handful of makeup supplies is what I needed for two nights away. The main product being the Born To Run eye-shadow palette and foundation, the rest was a mascara, eye-liner, a lip-gloss, two shades of lipstick, a bottle of perfume and a pair of sunglasses for when I was out and about.
Get that Born to Run look: Inspired by the beach side escape, it’s metallic shells, the white sandy beach and the village’s white and blue houses. This look is a paints a perfect canvas that will compliment any beach side stay.
* Eyes: For the eyelids I used colours Big Sky and Smog, half and half , to achieve a metallic contrasting finish. Instead of applying the eyeshadow in a sweeping motion, press it on in a dotting motion on the eyelids in two or three coats for more pigmentation and a much longer lasting effect.
* Face: A light and matte foundation.
* Lips: I finished the look with the Urban Decay “Big Bang Metallized” lipstick to match my shiny eyelids as well as the Urban Decay Make-up setting spray.
* Shop the new Urban Decay “Born To Run” eyeshadow palette (R800) at their standalone stores at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town, Gateway Shopping Mall in Durban and Sandton City in Johannesburg or online at www.urbandecay.co.za For more makeup looks follow the social media hashtag #BornToRun.