Rooibos tea is one of the most loved beverages in South Africa. Although the traditional way to enjoy the benefits of rooibos is to drink it as a tea, the benefits of this indigenous herb that only grows in a small area in the Western Cape can be extended to rooibos-infused products.
Adele du Toit, marketing manager for rooibos-based products Annique, shares some of the benefits rooibos has for the skin.
“Rooibos is rich in antioxidants which have anti-inflammatory benefits, assists with diabetes control and heart health, and can aid in the promotion of healthy skin,” she says.
Here are the top five rooibos benefits for the skin
* Rooibos’ anti-ageing properties come from antioxidants which assist with reducing wrinkles and promote the production of healthy skin cells. According to a study by the International Journal of Cosmetic Science in 2010, 20 women who took the rooibos challenge for four weeks reported that their wrinkles reduced by 9.9%. The antioxidants can help neutralise free radicals, which are responsible for causing wrinkles.
* Eczema and acne are reduced by the high levels of flavonoids in rooibos, which allows for healthier skin. With inflammation being one of the main causes of acne, the anti-inflammatory properties of rooibos aid in the reduction of acne.
* The anti-bacterial and hypo-allergenic properties of rooibos help fight bacterial infections and can also aid in relieving allergies.
* Rooibos is gentle on the skin, aiding in soothing sunburn, rashes (even nappy rash), abrasions and itchy skin.
* Drinking rooibos can keep skin hydrated and healthy.
In other news, South Africa has received the international protection designation from the European Commission for rooibos.