MasterChef SA winner, food writer and TV host of food and travel show, Girl Eat World, Kamini Pather’s fitness journey includes long-distance running, weight training and yoga. She shares with us her beauty and fashion essentials for her active lifestyle.
“I just ran the Nutribullet Bay to Bay 15km in a personal best time of 1 hour 27 minutes. I am going to be running the Discovery Vitality Run Series this month and in March. And I intend to run my third Sanlam CT Marathon in September,” she says.
“Besides the running, I do three days of weight training at The Station with Chaz Hanmer. It’s all full-body movement functional training, which I have found has given me muscle tone and flexibility. “I also practise yoga three times a week - a combination of power yoga (fast and heated) and vinyasa (slow and more focused on strength).”
5 beauty must-haves for outdoor workouts
1. IS Clinical Eclipse SPF 50
2. Nivea SPF 50
3. Kiehl’s lip balm # 1 - cranberry
4.A cap - always have a cap. There is nothing more protective than shielding the delicate skin on your face than an actual barrier.
5. Bottle of water - with the drought in Cape Town, the water that’s coming out of our taps can be a little iffy. I boil a kettle of water in the morning and decant it into water bottles so that I can drink clean water every day.
5 fitness fashion essentials
1. Puma Night Cats - running shoes that are water-resistant and have reflectors for those night runs with The Nine Four.
2. Tom Tom Runner 3 - while it isn’t the most fashion-forward piece of equipment, knowing one’s stats is always en vogue.
3. Nine Four Sliders for the post-run chill.
4. A snack. There’s nothing worse than finishing a run and being famished. I have been carrying around Kauai raw bars or a Metamorphic Boom Bar (the chocolate brownie is delectable).
5. Lorna Jane sports bra - they are the best I have ever used. They’re durable, comfortable and are available in some racy colours and patterns.
Kamini - need to know
2013 - Won MasterChef SA
2014 - hosted and produced Girl Eat World - food-travel show that was broadcast on Food Network in Africa, Europe, the Middle East.
Travelled to 10 international destinations to meet fellow bloggers who revealed their city through good experiences and friendship in Johannesburg, Bangkok, Tokyo, Sydney, Lima, Philadelphia, Berlin, Milan, Copenhagen and Dubai.
2015 - SA Style Award for The Next Big Thing - Safta for Girl Eat World in the Best Magazine Show category against Top Billing and The Man Cave.
2016 - Glamour Woman Of The Year: Readers’ Choice award - Sanlam CT Marathon campaign ambassador, Cansa ambassador.
2017 - launches cookware range, Kitchen Kulture (upcoming)
Follow Kamini Like Harmony on Instagram @KaminPather