Menswear is riding a different wave that is seeing an interesting mix of streetwear, sportswear, luxury tailored separates as well as gender fluid offerings. The trend focus for spring and summer is statement pieces and accessories that are both functional and trendy. From light tailored pants in feminine shapes to animal prints, checks, bright neo and sequinned fabrics, there is something to cater for every stylish man. Here is a round-up of 7 big trends you should know.
1. ANIMAL PRINT : The fiery leopard print has been around for decades and has remained a staple piece for all seasons. Although it never truly went away, it’s currently having a major moment on all runways. Avoid venturing into pimp territory by wearing the print from head to toe; pair it with a solid colour or black. Outfit from The Christian Siriano spring collection.
2. FEMININE SILHOUETTES : Trends have focused on women wearing masculine silhouettes, such as boyfriend jeans, but now the tables have turned. The rules on feminine and masculine dressing are fast becoming blurred. Forget the rule book and experiment with high-waisted feminine cuts and wide-leg fits. Outfit by CHULAAP by Chu Suwannapha
3. KIMONO: The traditional Japanese kimono is reinterpreted and is the perfect streetwear alternative to tailored jackets and blazers. Throw it on to complete any outfit, casual or formal, and you will be good to go. Outfit by One I Am.
4. ATHLEISURE: Hoodies and bomber jackets in high performance and sportsinspired fabrics as well as tracksuits are versatile. Comfortable, cosy and trendy are the new cool. This trend will take you from the office to the gym or a dinner date if styled just right. Avoid baggy fits. Outfit by Todd Snyder.
5. ACCESSORIES: Gentlemen, your range of accessories is no longer just limited to wallets, pocket squares, belts and suspenders. You need a statement bag that will fit in all of your important items. Bag by Tokyo James.
6. SOLID COLOUR SUITS: If you are over prints, here is a look you will love. It’s from Louis Vuitton’s menswear debut collection by Virgil Abloh. Dress up the classic suit with formal shoes to make it work for a serious occasion.
7.CHECKS : From tartan to windowpane and plaid patterns… checks are officially a thing for not just winter but for summer as well. Pair them for a seamless look or tone down the busy prints with a classic shirt or T-shirt. Outfit by Throwaway Twenty.