DURBAN - ETHEKWINI Municipality has invited qualifying applicants who wish to begin or continue studying towards their first undergraduate studies at a public higher education institution in the 2022 academic year to apply for the eThekwini Municipal Student Relief Fund.
On Friday the city said applications are open to South African citizens permanently residing in eThekwini.
The closing date for applications is January 31.
Head of the eThekwini Municipal Academy Professor Mpilo Ngubane said the financial assistance is for a full-time study programme at a public higher education institution.
He said it will be awarded based on academic performance.
“The financial assistance is mainly for registration and provision may be made towards a portion of tuition fees but not accommodation, meals, books, sports, transportation and/or any other related costs,” said Ngubane.
Ngubane said people with disabilities are also encouraged to apply.
It is the student’s responsibility to get acceptance to a higher education institution, he said, adding that students are encouraged to further apply for financial assistance from other funding sources as well.
Applications should include the following information/documents:
- A copy of a matric certificate if you have completed your NSC (matric) and have not studied at any higher education institution.
- An academic record if you are currently studying at a higher education institution.
- Proof of income/salary of both parent/s and guardian/s (eg pay slip/letter from employer or sworn statement or tax return statement for self-employed parents or guardian/s).
- Income of parents combined and/or guardian is R160 000. Should there be two or more students in a household, the cut-off income is R200 000.
- Proof of unemployment if parents are unemployed from the Department of Labour.
- Certified copy of your South African ID.
- Parents or guardian/s ID copies or death certificate where applicable.
- Acceptance letter from the public higher education institution.
- Financial statement from a higher education institution.
- Motivation letter from the applicant.
- Proof of residence.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted to Shell House, 11th Floor, 221 Anton Lembede Street, Durban, 4001.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 10 weeks of the closing date should consider their applications unsuccessful.