Independent Online

Monday, August 8, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Issuing of driving licences resumes at Rossburgh Licence Testing Centre after floods

While the issuing of driving licences applied for between October to December 2021 has resumed at Rossburgh Licence Testing Centre, bookings for learners, driving licences and testing is still suspended.

KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala and MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison Neliswa Peggy Nkonyeni assisted with the clean-up campaign at the Rossburgh Driving Licence Testing Centre last week. The centre was damaged during the recent floods. Picture: Supplied.

Published May 9, 2022

Share

DURBAN - The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport said partial operations resumed on Monday at the Rossburgh Licence Testing Centre after weeks of closure due to flood related damages.

KZN Transport MEC Neliswa Peggy Nkonyeni said the partial opening of Rossburgh, the third largest testing centre in the country, is important to the people of eThekwini and the province.

Story continues below Advertisement

In a statement on Monday, the department said minimum services are being offered at the section of the centre that reopened that day (Monday).

“In the main, the station is currently attending to the issuing of driving licence cards. The cards that are being issued are those dating back to between October and December 2021,” it said.

These licence cards had already been delivered when the province was hit by floods and were not damaged, said the department.

Story continues below Advertisement

“The bookings for learners, driving licences and testing is still suspended until all clean-up operations are finalised and temporary office accommodation set up,” it said.

The department said the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) brought in new computers and installed the National Traffic Information System (eNaTIS) lines after the infrastructure was wiped out by the floods.

Some vehicles have also been deployed to the centre after nine belonging to Rossburgh were damaged, it said. The department added that it is working hard to ensure that other services resume.

Story continues below Advertisement

“Recently the KwaZulu-Natal Premier, Sihle Zikalala, visited the station and directed that services be not relocated as the station is servicing high volumes of people. The team working at the station will use the section of the building that was not damaged while the damaged section is being assessed,” said the statement.

The MEC apologised to the motorists and members of the public who have been inconvenienced during this closure.

“Those who had applied before December 2021 must go and collect their cards. We also humbly ask for patience with the system as it’s still slow,” said Nkonyeni.

Story continues below Advertisement

Related Topics:

KwaZulu-Natal

Share