The father of the two-year-old boy who died in the Foreman Road fire has succumbed to his injuries and died in hospital.
The man died on Monday afternoon after sustaining injuries in the shack fire, where an estimated 1 000 shacks were burnt down,early Sunday morning.
According to Abahlali Basemjondolo spokesperson, Thapelo Mohapi, the man is from Mozambique and will need to repatriated to his country of birth.
It is suspected that a candle toppled over and caused the fire, and the fire spread at a rapid rate throughout the informal settlement.
Fire-fighters arrived on scene but were delayed by the community from putting out the fire when frustrated residents cut the water hose, in a bid to get water to douse their burning shacks; this decreased the water pressure, further delaying the fire-fighters.
A mob of residents then turned on the fire-fighters, injuring one of the fire-fighters with a pipe. Fire-fighters were only able to return to the scene under police-guard.
A resident at the informal settlement condemned this behaviour, saying that it was not how shack dwellers conducted themselves.
Abahlali Basemjondolo spokesperson, Thapelo Mohapi said: “We will work to rebuild the community and to organise to fight future fires together and to work with the fire department.”