Parents of Miguel Louw, Kirk with Raylene Louw. Picture Bongani Mbatha African News Agency (ANA)
Durban - Despite being granted bail last week, the main suspect in the alleged kidnapping of 10-year-old Miguel Louw is still in custody.

Police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbhele said Mohammed Ebrahim had not paid the bail money, which was why he was still in custody.

“No, bail has not been cancelled, he simply has not paid it. Bail can only be cancelled if a person violated their bail conditions,” Mbhele said.

Mbhele said the police were still awaiting DNA results to confirm whether the body found on Monday afternoon was indeed that of Miguel, who has been missing since July 17.

The body of a young boy was found buried in a shallow grave in Longbury Drive in Phoenix when KZN VIP security officers were searching for armed robbery suspects.

Ebrahim’s home is near the area where the body was discovered, but police said they had not added to his charges or linked him to any murder because they were still awaiting post-mortem and DNA results.

The 43-year-old Ebrahim was captured on video buying KFC with Miguel near the school he attended.

Glen Naidoo of KZN VIP said a team of forensic experts were yesterday combing the scene where the body was found for clues.

Louw’s family yesterday refused to comment, saying they were still waiting for confirmation that the body was Miguel’s.

Mbhele would not say when the DNA results would be released.

The Mercury