Durban - About 200 minibus taxis were fined and some had their operating licences suspended after defects were found during roadblocks conducted across KwaZulu-Natal.
KZN Transport, Community Safety and Liaison spokesperson Mluleki Mntungwa said old tyres and worn brakes were some of the defects detected on the N11 in Newcastle yesterday at a roadblock which focused on minibus taxis.
“October is Transport Month, so we will conduct these operations throughout the province. Last week we were in Durban, on Tuesday in Newcastle and on Thursday and Friday we will be in uMkhanyakude,” said Mntungwa.
Transport and Community Safety Liaison MEC Mxolisi Kaunda said the roadblocks would be a permanent feature throughout the province.
“We have directed law enforcement agencies and road safety activists to work with us to monitor compliance,” said Kaunda.
The MEC said there had been a big drop in minibus taxi crashes.
“This shows progress and we will continue to work with Santaco,” he said.
Last week, during a handover of a fleet with advanced equipment to the Road Traffic Inspectorate and metro police, Kaunda said he was not happy with the 1.2% decline in road fatalities between February and June - he set a target of 5% by the start of the festive season.