DURBAN - KWAZULU-NATAL Premier Sihle Zikalala yesterday launched the integrated safer festive season.
Also at the launch were MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, Peggy Nkonyeni, and MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs, Ravi Pillay.
The premier said the safety plan was developed in consultation with the provincial Justice Crime Prevention and Security Cluster (JCPS).
Zikalala issued a stern warning to criminals.
“We are warning those planning to commit crime in KZN that we will be everywhere. You will find us at roadblocks and other key areas like the national roads, rail environment, ports of entry and border line,” Zikalala added. He warned that the province had a zero-tolerance policy towards driving drunk, and that no leniency would be shown to transgressors.
He noted that last year, road fatalities came down slightly due mainly to reduced traffic on the roads because of Covid-19-related restrictions. According to the statistics, during the period December 1, 2020 to January 11, 2021, 1 448 people lost their lives on South African roads in no less than 1 210 fatal crashes.
Zikalala said that the rape and murder statistics recently released by Police Minister Bheki Cele were alarmingly high.
He said authorities were aware of where the rape and murder hot spots were, and that there was a plan to target these areas.
Nkonyeni said that they would deploy more than 3 800 police officers.