Security guard gunned down on his way to work in KwaMashu

According to Reaction Unit South Africa, the security guard who was gunned down in Besters, KwaMashu on Thursday morning was shot at least 10 times.

Security guard killed while on his way to work in the Besters area in KwaMashu. Picture: Reaction Unit South Africa.

Published May 5, 2022


Durban - A security officer who was on his way to work was gunned down in a hail of bullets while boarding a taxi in Besters, KwaMashu on Thursday.

Provincial police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Nqobile Gwala said it was alleged that this morning at 6.30am, a 40-year-old security guard was on his way to work when he was shot by an unknown suspect near the taxi rank in the Bester area of KwaMashu.

“He sustained multiple gunshot wounds to his head and chest and was confirmed dead at the scene,” said Gwala.

Reaction Unit South Africa(Rusa) spokesperson Prem Balram said their Phoenix Operations Centre received numerous calls at approximately 5.52am from frantic onlookers requesting medical assistance for the victim.

He said their officers and medics were immediately dispatched to the scene, however on arrival they discovered that the victim had succumbed to his injuries.

He added that according to reports from the scene, the guard was boarding a mini bus taxi when he was approached by a man dressed in blue shorts, sandals and a navy sleeveless jacket who then shot him.

The gunman fled without stealing anything, he added.

“Upon examination he was found to have sustained 10 gunshot wounds to his head, back and arms. The motive for the shooting remains unknown at this stage,” said Balram.

Police said a case of murder was opened at KwaMashu police station for investigation.

Balram added that this incident comes after two other security officers and a policeman were gunned down in separate attacks in KZN on Wednesday.

KZN police have launched a manhunt after an off-duty police officer was killed while responding to a hijacking incident.

Warrant Officer Michael Jameson, 52, was picking up his daughter from a school in Umbilo when he noticed a hijacking in progress.

Police said upon noticing that Jameson was armed, the suspects opened fire. Jameson returned fire, but sadly succumbed to his injuries on scene.

Police in KwaZulu-Natal have since mobilised all resources to track and trace down the suspects.