Durban - At least three containers, reportedly lost in the water when ships ran aground in Tuesday's storm, are yet to be located.
Chief operating officer for the South African Maritime Authority (Samsa), Sobantu Tilayi said this was of great concern as they pose a danger to navigation at the Durban Port.
The search has resumed.
Samsa worked with the Transnet Port Authority (TNPA) in emergency response operations to successfully re-float three ships which had broken their moorings after being lashed by the gale force winds and heavy rain.
Principal officer at the Durban office, Captain Hopewell Mkhize and Port of Durban Harbour Master, Captain Alex Miya convened a Joint Operations Committee which managed the emergency response operations.
Priority was given to a 330m long vessel which was blocking the harbour entrance.
"It took five tugs to re-float the container vessel and once re-floated, she was allocated a berth in the port for damage inspection.
A 183m long product tanker, which was berthed in Island View broke its moorings and ran aground on the sandbank near the Island View Terminal. The vessel was re-floated at 4:30pm and it took further effort to clear the anchors which were still stuck," said Tilayi.
The third vessel, also a shipping container (330m long) which ran aground near Maydon Wharf, was also successfully re-floated.
A third vessel, which broke its mooring ropes, was secured while and SA Shipyards’ floating dock and new tug remain grounded on bank.
TNPA reported that there had been a straddle carrier which was blown into the water and remains unsecured.
"There are also reports that some cranes were derailed by strong winds," said Tilayi.