London - Fernando Alonso can be an ambassador for Formula One after the double world champion bows out at the end of the season.
Formula One managing director Sean Bratches said at a Black Book Motorsport Forum in London on Tuesday he was disappointed "from a business standpoint" that the 37-year-old Spaniard had decided to call it a day but respected the decision. He also agreed with the McLaren driver's view that Formula One had become too predictable.
"I hope we can engage him to be an ambassador for this great sport of ours going forward," said Bratches.
Alonso, a double Monaco Grand Prix winner who won the Le Mans 24 Hours on his debut in June, will continue in the World Endurance Championship with Toyota in 2019 and is expected to return to Indianapolis. A victory in the Indy 500 is all that stands between him and the 'Triple Crown of Motorsport', a feat so far achieved only by the late Graham Hill.
'F1 lacks excitement'