Cape Town - A group of Democratic Alliance supporters gathered outside the Western Cape High Court earlier on Tuesday, chanting “No to Tolls”.
They were there to support the City of Cape Town’s application to have controversial plans for the implementation of tolls on the N1 and N2, scrapped.
The City wanted the decision by SA National Road Agency Limited to be set aside and said it believed “this is a case about decisions that will have huge consequences that will last at least 30 years.”
Geoff Budlender, SC for the City, told the court that Sanral, the environment minister and the transport minister did not have the necessary information when they gave the project the green light in 2008.
He said they needed to consider if tolling was viable and appropriate, and to do that they needed to know the costs of the project and the impacts of tolling.