A bystander reasons with Richard Talliard at left while Phillip Uhuaba is seen at right. Youtube screengrab: Barry Ackerman

Cape Town - A Cape Flats driving instructor and his son have been charged with assault after they allegedly attacked another instructor over stolen cones.

The owners of Jay-Zee Driving Academy, Richard and Patjohn Talliard, are expected back in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court later in September on charges of assault and malicious damage to property.

A video of the February attack was posted on YouTube this week, and has already been viewed more than 160 times.

The victim, Philip Uhuaba, 53, who is also Richard Talliard’s estranged son-in-law, says the attack was sparked by a long-standing family feud, but he didn’t want to divulge more details as he wants to protect his three young children.

In the video three men can be heard swearing and arguing with each other before one of them, allegedly Talliard, grabs a pole and starts beating Uhuaba with it.

Several other men try to break up the fight.

Uhuaba’s shaken learner driver ran from the car and recorded the heated argument from a distance.

One of the men can be heard shouting, “F**k you,” while Philip Talliard shouts, “Bring it, bring it!”

The frightened learner tells a passer by, “He just drove up and kicked the car. I was so scared.”

Throwing punches

Seconds later one of the accused takes a pole and hits Uhuaba, who tries to defend himself by throwing a few a punches.

Uhuaba, who owns Jay-Pro Driving Academy, said he confronted Talliard in the parking yard in Ottery after Talliard had laid a charge of theft against him.

“He claimed I stole his cones but it was my own things that I took back,” Uhuaba said.

“When I saw him later that day, I said: ‘The next time you want to open a case against me make sure it’s your own things’.”

Constable Noloyiso Rwexana said the father and son from Heathfield were arrested and charged.

“A case of assault common and malicious damage to property was opened against the two suspects,” she said.

“Both suspects were arrested and charged, the case was postponed to 28 September.”

Richard Talliard referred the Daily Voice to his lawyer, John Riley, who said: “We do not wish to comment on this matter, as it’s already before the court so the court must deal with it.”

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Subscribe to our Newsletter