Bloemfontein - The South African National Roads Agency Limited on Thursday said it was studying a Supreme Court of Appeal ruling which effectively upheld an earlier high court decision scrapping the Cape Winelands Toll Project.
"Sanral respects the Supreme Court of Appeal's ruling," said agency spokesman Vusi Mona.
"We will, however, study the judgement and reasons provided by the Court of Appeal. Thereafter we will decide on a reasonable course of action to address the impact of the delay and the congestion which will result from an increase in road users and urban developments along this economic urban corridor."
Earlier on Thursday, the Supreme Court of Appeal ruled against Sanral's appeal of a 2015 Western Cape High Court judgment. In that judgment, the high court set aside Sanral's decision to toll portions of the N1 and N2, as well as the transport minister's 2008 decision to declare the N1 and N2 as toll roads.
"The application for leave to appeal against the refusal to admit further affidavits is dismissed with cost, including the costs of two counsel," it said.
The ruling rendered the project null and void and if Sanral decided to go ahead with it again, it would need to start the entire process from scratch.
The proposed toll project covers both the N1 and N2 routes and would effectively toll all movement of goods and people in and out of the Cape metropole.