President Jacob Zuma's son Duduzane is to be charged with culpable homicide. File picture: Chris Collingridge / Independent Media
Pretoria - More than three years after President Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane collided with a minibus taxi, the family of Phumzile Dube, who died in the crash, had received just a R5 000 “contribution” from a taxi association, the head of AfriForum’s private prosecuting unit, advocate Gerrie Nel, said on Tuesday.

“Other than a contribution, the family have received no financial support whatsoever. With respect to the Dube family, and undertaking the trauma this incident caused, I commend the family for their willingness and eagerness to ensure that justice is done,” Nel said.

“The Dube family were never consulted, and neither were they informed of the decision not to prosecute. They have not received any award from the Road Accident Fund. The attorney has informed them that the road accident claim will be heard in the high court in February 2018.”

Nel said AfriForum was also checking the status of that financial claim.

Members of the family were at the briefing, but Nel said they don’t feel comfortable talking to the media.

Former NPA prosecutor Gerrie Nel announces that Duduzane Zuma will be the first person to face Afriforum's private prosecution unit. Picture: ANA

Nel announced that his private prosecuting unit at AfriForum had instituted legal action seeking to prosecute Zuma, and would now be consulting witnesses and experts as it waited for the National Prosecuting Authority to issue a nolle prosequi certificate.

“We have assisted the Dube family to submit an application for a nolle prosequi certificate earlier this morning, to prosecute Mr Duduzane Zuma on a charge of culpable homicide,” said Nel.

The certificate must be issued by the Director of Public Prosecutions, as a prerequisite for a private prosecution, as it indicates that the State will not pursue the case.

'Failed to conduct himself in a reasonable manner'

The NPA, in August 2015, decided not to prosecute Zuma, despite the findings of an inquest that the president’s son was negligent in the accident.

“He failed to conduct himself in a reasonable manner under the circumstances,” Randburg Magistrate’s Court magistrate Lolita Chetty said at the time, after the inquest.

Zuma's car rear-ended Jabulani Vusi Dlamini’s minibus taxi on the M1 South off-ramp to Grayston Drive in Sandton. Dube was killed and three other passengers were injured.

During the inquest, Zuma said he lost control of his Porsche after it hit a puddle in rainy conditions.

ANA

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter