Mikkelsen finished second in Germany in August. Photo: Romain Thuillier / RaceEMotion

Alzenau, Germany, Andreas Mikkelsen is to move from Citroen to Hyundai for the final three rounds of the 2017 World Rally Championship. 

Mikkelsen was left without a full-time seat when Volkswagen pulled out of the series at the end of 2016. He joined Citroen for three rallies, finishing second in Germany in August.

With his departure Citroen is now intent on signing four-times world champion Sebastien Ogier for 2018.

"Sebastien Ogier is clearly our number one objective," Citroen Racing boss Yves Matton said on Tuesday. He explained that budget constraints had prevented them retaining Mikkelsen while at the same time trying to secure the services of French rally ace Ogier.

"Talks with Ogier are continuing normally, but there's nothing decided yet, it's too early," added Matton, who raised the possibility of nine-times former champion Sebastien Loeb returning "for two or three rallies" in 2018.

'Positive feeling'

Mikkelsen, who tested for his new team earlier this year, will join a Hyundai driver line-up consisting of Thierry Neuville and Dani Sordo in October's Rally of Catalunya, with Hayden Paddon dropped.

"I had a really positive feeling, which I am sure we will find again in these last three events of the season," he said. "My aim is to do all I can to help the team in the manufacturers’ championship."

The Ford Fiestas of M-Sport lead the manufacturers' standings on 325 points with Hyundai second on 261.

Agence France-Presse

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter