Kano - The death toll from a series of bomb blasts that rocked a mainly Christian area of northern Nigeria's largest city of Kano has risen to 12, the military said on Tuesday, blaming Islamist group Boko Haram for the attacks.
“Twelve persons were confirmed to have died ... while a couple of others who sustained various degrees of injuries were rushed to hospital for medical attention,” a military statement said of Monday night's explosions.
The statement blamed the attack on suspected Boko Haram members and said packages that caused the explosions were left in the mainly Christian Sabon Gari area of Kano.
At least four strong explosions were heard late on Monday in the area and they appeared to target outdoor bars. The blasts shattered a recent lull in insurgent attacks in the city, which has previously seen heavy violence blamed on Boko Haram. - AFP
* If you use Gmail to read IOL's newsletters, note that Google is rolling out a new tabbed inbox that filters your mail into 5 separate tabs - Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates and Forums.
IOL emails will probably be sent to the "Promotions" tab instead of the "Primary" tab. If you don't want it that way, drag the newsletter from the Promotions tab to the Primary tab. An alert will pop up. Click "yes" and your newsletters will continue to go to your Primary inbox.