CAIRO — Sudanese authorities have cracked down on Arabic-language foreign media working inside the country, as protests against the autocratic rule of President Omar al-Bashir enter their second month, news channels said.
Qatari satellite broadcaster Al Jazeera said that its correspondents in Sudan had their work permits withdrawn by security officials on Monday, while its Saudi competitor Al Arabiya said its correspondent had his permit revoked as well.
Both channels have been reporting on the unrest despite a media blackout by authorities, who control the press. The unrest began in earnest on Dec. 19 over the failing economy but have led to calls for President Omar al-Bashir's removal.
In a statement late Monday on the Arabic-language Facebook page of its Sudanese channel, Al Jazeera said its Khartoum office was told the decision was made after a review of the work of Osama Said Ahmed and Ahmad al-Ruheid, as well as cameraman Badawi Bashir.
The channel says that the men had previously had their permits approved for 2019 by the government Press Council.